Tuesday 19 July 2011

What I've Been Listening To

So...what's been pumping into my ears over the last few months? Some pretty good stuff, as it happens! Some old, some new. Here's a little taste:

1. The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I

This is actually an old album (1999) which I discovered purely because Pitchfork re-reviewed it on account of its re-release on vinyl only. Frustratingly, it's unavailable on CD in the UK. It's a superb album - pretty rocky and choppy, with some cool lyrics. What I love about it is that it perfectly treads the fine line between dis-jointed and really well formed indie-rock, with dis-chord aplenty, but also some superb melody and great beats. The track "Memory Machine" (see video) is a perfect example, alternating excitingly between chaos and rocky perfection. The lyrics are good too:

"Some day I'm telling you they'll make a memory machine, to wax our hearts to a blinding sheen.......
If they can make machines to save us labor Someday they'll do our hearts the very same favour
The wails of ruined lives brought to a halt
By the serene hum of computers in air-conditioned vaults"

Anyway - it won't be to everyone's taste, but if you bands like Pavement and The Pixies, I reckon you'll enjoy the D-Plan.


2. Bon Iver - "Bon Iver"

After the brilliant debut album, "For Emma, Forever Ago" (easier to type than say!), I was massively looking forward to Justin Vernon and co's follow up album. I have not been disappointed! The sophomore release is a thing of absolute beauty - but is also very different. Where the first album was very much about a girl, this one seems much more to be about a sense of place, rather than person. The music is different too - less instantly accessible, but more varied and exciting. "Perth", the first song on the album takes the listener's breath away, with marching drums dramatically replaced by the crashing of 3 kits/percussion sets in the climax.
But for me it's the hauntingly beautiful "Wash" (see video), with its echoing piano and swooning strings which takes the album to a whole new level. Just brilliant.


3. Bethel Church - "Be Lifted High"

Very rare that I recommend a worship album - largely because I don't often enjoy whole ones, given what I perceive to be a musical inferiority to secular stuff (sorry!). But this album combines excellent musicianship with brilliant lyrics and I've found myself really drawn into worship by it. The stand out track for me is Brian Johnson's song, "What Would I Have Done" (see video) which builds slowly to a rousing and emotional chorus which asks on behalf of all believers that intriguing question - where would we be without the love and forgiveness of God? Great music, with a powerful message.


4. Metronomy - "The English Riviera"

Cool little album this - and today it was nominated for a Mercury Music Prize. I got into this one thanks to Radio 6, and have really enjoyed it. There are hints of Phoenix, Daft Punk, Zero 7 and Postal Service in there if you listen hard enough. The stand out track is the latest single, "The Bay" (see video), which has a fun rhythm section and some superb harmonies. Love it!


5. Fleet Foxes - "Helplessness Blues"

I had the pleasure of seeing these guys in concert in June and they didn't disappoint. Their second album is every bit as brilliant as their first, with sensational harmonisation over folksy music. The title track for me is the stand out song....(see video).

No comments:

Post a Comment